It’s a national holiday here in the USA, Labor Day. Traditionally this is a day to relax, play and take a day off from work. Many of us work so hard, we’ve forgotten what it’s like to play and so we find ourselves at odds with the notion of “take a day off.” Snap out of it, as Cher said to Nicholas Cage in Moonstruck.
Let’s get serious about play. Make a list of at least 5 things you would consider doing if you allowed yourself some time to play. Then schedule at least one of them into your life this week. Here’s ours:
- Gluing things to other things
- Using glitter without caution
- Playing in the pool with no aerobic agenda, just slashing around because it’s fun.
- Putting the pictures of the heads of my friends onto the bodies of antique graphics of dogs, cats and birds.
- Play is good for both body and soul. Play is a way to shed stress and release yourself to joy. How do you play? What would you do if you could let yourself play?
- Taking a long walk at a slow pace.
- Floating in a pool with a noodle as a pillow.
- Ladder Golf (look it up).
- Taking in a minor league baseball game.
- A rousing game of cards with good friends.
We can’t wait to see your lists.